Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Medusa - First Step Beyond

If you're curious about this rash of mysterious early 70's prog/hard rock reissues that are not quite flooding the market, you could do worse than to start here. The Numero Group pressing is the first pressing, so this isn't a reissue, but the album dwells in the same realm as many in the aforementioned subgenres. This album has quite the mystique about it, from those who may have known of its existence in the past to the wreath of hype that surrounds it now. Presentation is certainly there, with a faux velvet cover, gilded graphic and gatefold featuring photos of the band framed within a pentagram. This thing would make Satan himself proud. The recording is on the rough side, but only in a way that enhances the experience. It sounds great.



I'll be honest, the music contained within isn't quite as heavy as I thought it would be. I wasn't expecting another Master of Reality, but I think you know what I mean. I like the album more with each listen. Track one, "Strangulation" is the cut, but the album wanders a bit from there. It does whisk me away to another time and place, which for me is the crucial element in this sort of album. Is the main element metal? No. I see it as a sort of proggy garage rock (1975 seems a bit late for this sort of thing, now that I think about it). Still, I'm sure this music would have given the Parent Teacher Association fits back in the day.

Verdict: Metal in spirit, if not in outright riffage. A fascinating relic that deserves its place beside Wicked Lady and other hidden gems from the period.

PS: The fake velvet on the cover STINKS. I get a headache if I don't put it back in the plastic sleeve. Needs some hash sprinkled in the gatefold or something. 

2 comments:

  1. Medusa formed in July 1973 and the original material started flowing. Unknown Fear was an instrumental early on and the lyrics came later. In the summer months we rehearsed in my garage and moved to the drummers basement when the fall and winter months came. The proggy parts are because we all were into prog rock back then. The bass player and I would hop the el train and head to downtown Chicago and check out the import sections for prog rock from Europe. When Chicago was playing the blues and rock n' roll our influences took us somewhere else. That's why we are not at the top of the charts with the Bieb or Taylor Swift, but we do have a following who want their music just a little bit different. And we are okay with that. It sounds like you like it. Thanks for posting. I do have a double album by the Allman Brothers band Hour Glass which I recently opened after many years and found a few seeds and a few flakes of pot. I will talk to the marketing guy at Numero to see what he can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, thank you for your information and hard work getting unearthing your creation for us to enjoy. It is thrilling to read your words here. I'm looking forward to playing First Step Beyond for all my friends. Happy days!

      Delete